Mr. Kaplan represents real estate management and brokerage companies, developers, property owners, partnerships, investors, landlords, tenants, and apartment and condominium associations in a variety of transactions and disputes including:
- Acquisition/sale issues
- Lease terminations
- Real estate ventures/partnerships
- Commercial lending issues
- Environmental contamination
- Broker fees
- Premises liability
- Workouts and foreclosures
EXAMPLES OF REAL ESTATE WORK
- Represented the owner-operator of a major Midwestern shopping center in legal matters arising out of a fire that destroyed the facility of its anchor tenant.
- Defended partners in a multi-million dollar commercial real estate development in a lawsuit brought by other partners, including a trust established by a former president of the United States, alleging fraud, embezzlement and misrepresentation of partnership funds.
- Represented investors in actions to recover sums converted by syndicators of tax-shelter investment partnerships and other ventures.
- Represented a real estate development company and its officers in an action to enforce approximately $1 million in debt instruments, loan restructuring obligations and personal guaranties.
- Defended directors of a religious corporation in dispute over title to church real estate.
- Defended condominium owners in an action seeking over $1 million for injuries and damages for alleged negligence, emotional distress and trespass.
- Represented landlord in actions brought by tenants alleging breach of lease agreements resulting from the landlord's refusal to renew a commercial lease and entering into a new lease with a different tenant.